In 2013, our family stepped out in faith and moved to the country to pursue a more simple life. Our main goal was a slower pace that allowed us to connect more deeply with each other, nature, and the old ways of doing things to live off the land as much as possible. Since that time, our small kitchen garden and initial handful of poultry has expanded considerably. Through our growth, we have discovered that not only do we enjoy the final fruits of our labor — real food raised naturally by us — but we love sharing the process and products with others.
In 2018, we decided to take our next leap of faith and start Hohns Acres, LLC with the hope of providing real, locally grown, nutrient dense food for you and your family as well as our own.
We look forward to partnering with you on this food adventure!
Amanda & Jeremy
Our Approach to Farming
As a family and as a business, there are few things more important than leaving a meaningful legacy for future generations so that they may continue using and enjoying the land.
- We believe in being devoted stewards of the land. We follow an intensive rotational grazing management approach while implementing and creating sustainable, life giving practices on our farm. Practicing regenerative farming positively impacts both our land and the lives of the animals we raise.
- We value the life of the animal. Whether their purpose is meat or dairy, the happiest and healthiest animals are treated with respect and compassion. They are given the best life possible, with access to fresh grass, sunlight, and space to move about freely. Here at Hohns Acres, rotational grazing creates a healthier environment for our animals, lessening our need for antibiotics or chemicals. The grazing method improves the fertility of the soil, increasing the nutritional value of what they eat so that we can harvest premium quality, nutritious meat and eggs.
- We enjoy bringing others along in the process. Seeing our children engage with this lifestyle — raising and caring for the food that we eat — is both rewarding and humbling. We find satisfaction in all that we are learning ourselves and seeing it through their eyes makes it even more exciting. We have also found that educating others on where food actually comes from and how small scale farming can work is equally rewarding.
Our Commitment to You
Now more than ever, it is more important to know where your food comes from, how it has been raised and the farmer that raised it. You are what you eat, and so is your food. That’s why we desire to be transparent in all that we do on the farm and why we do it. The way we approach farming is unique, we see it as a partnership between us and our patrons. What we promise to you as that patron is the following:
- Our pasture areas are 100% chemical, pesticide and herbicide free.
- All of the grains we use to feed are animals are Non-GMO and milled in Central Texas, supporting local mills.
- Our animals are treated humanely and have access to clean water, fresh air and plenty of sunshine.
- Our meats are pasture raised and moved frequently to fresh, lush grazing areas.
- Antibiotics and vaccinations are never administered except as a life saving measure.
- Our customers are always welcome to visit by appointment, look around and investigate our farm and ask questions.
- You will always receive the highest personal customer service.
- We will never sell to you any food that we would not feed to our own children.
*Please note that while some individual components of our farming operation are certified organic,
our finished products are not USDA certified organic.